Small Accounting Solutions, LLC
assists clients in two distinct areas. First, we are a virtual accounting firm specializing in serving boutique law firms throughout the United States. By using cloud-based accounting solutions and third-party case management applications, we provide a low-cost finance function that permits our clients to focus on being lawyers and to stop worrying about the back office.
Additionally, we provide law firms the ability to assist their clients with actionable intelligence using proven forensic accounting and fraud investigative solutions. Either through regulatory inquiries, whistleblower allegations or other reportable channels we can make sense of financial records through effective data analysis and investigation.
Douglas Small, a former Special Agent with the FBI has over 30 years of experience in connection with fraud investigations, forensic accounting, anti-corruption issues and financial controllership. He principally advises clients in all aspects of internal corporate fraud investigations, forensic accounting analysis, flow of funds through organizations, adherence to United States laws abroad to include the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and white-collar criminal matters.
Mr. Small has been consulting with law firms and global companies since 2008 providing expert services throughout the world. He spent 14 years as a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation where he conducted numerous complex white collar criminal investigations to include, mortgage fraud, corporate fraud, health care fraud, money laundering, wire fraud, mail fraud and public corruption. During his FBI career, Mr. Small also was involved in all phases of the crisis management continuum, including executive protection, tactical response, field training exercises, and firearms and tactical training.
Throughout his career he has led and conducted investigations both domestically and internationally to include Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East. He has also worked closely with federal prosecutors and has been called upon frequently to provide testimony in both criminal trials and grand juries.
In addition, he currently provides back office accounting and bookkeeping services for top boutique law firms. He served as a Vice President of Finance of a start-up IT Company in the multi-family housing sector and has six years of experience in auditing joint venture and contract vendor agreements with a major oil and gas company as well as audit experience with a “Big Four” accounting firm.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
M.B.A. Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana - 1990
B.S. (Accounting) Missouri Valley College, Marshall, Missouri - 1985
Certified in ISO 37001 Anti-Bribery Management Systems Lead Auditor
Certified Public Accountant licensed in the State of Texas
Certified Fraud Examiner and member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Certified in Financial Forensics by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
EXPERT WITNESS & TESTIMONIAL EXPERIENCE
- Provided expert review in a joint venture dispute in the Sudan conducting analysis of the joint venture operating agreement and allocation of designated costs to each party.
- Provided written expert report regarding the value of FCPA Compliance in: Teamsters Local #500 Severance Fund and Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority v. Belda, et al., Case No. GD-08-014664 (Pa. C.P., Allegheny), June 2014.
- Provided written expert report regarding the investigation of a country manager of a high-tech company’s operations in Argentina for misappropriation of Company assets.
- Provided an expert review of deposition transcripts and other documentation in an intellectual property lawsuit for a large computer chip manufacturer regarding its evidence spoliation motion filed in United States Federal court, December 2010.
- Provided trial testimony in the matter of: United States v. Dr. Soon Kyung Park, (CR-03-00043), The District of the Northern Marina Islands, September 2004.
- Have been called upon to provide grand jury testimony on several matters and have prepared sworn affidavits in support of search warrants, seizure and forfeiture warrants and arrest warrants while working as Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.